home >> about >> job vacancies

Job Vacancies

 Want to advertise on here? Please return the Order Form with your advert to Coral Jackson

PhD Studentship in Canoeing Performance

Location: Bisham Abbey and Lincoln
£14,000 per annum stipend plus fees
Closing Date: Thursday 16th October 2014
Reference: Canoeing Performance

Applications are invited from outstanding, highly-motivated students for a studentship focusing on the biomechanical analysis of on-water paddling performance in Canoe Sprint Racing. The project is a collaboration between the University of Lincoln, the English Institute of Sport and British Canoeing. The successful candidate will normally be based at the High Performance Centre, Bisham Abbey National Sports Centre and will work alongside the British Canoe Sprint Team. He or she will also be expected to be actively engaged with the research community at the University’s School of Sport and Exercise Science, with occasional travel to Lincoln. The appointment will be funded for four years, subject to satisfactory annual performance.

The student will employ kinematic and kinetic analytical techniques to explore the relationship between equipment, paddle and body movements, and on-water performance. The student will be expected to integrate relevant research findings relating to the biomechanics, physiology, and physics of the sport of Canoe Sprint Racing, with the goal of delivering coherent evidence-based recommendations for improving elite level paddling performance.

Applicants should have a First or Upper Second Class honours degree (or equivalent) in sports science, biomechanics, engineering or a related area. Applicants with a relevant Masters are particularly welcome, and experience of providing applied support to athletes would be an advantage. Suitably-qualified candidates worldwide may apply, although non UK/EU students must self-fund the difference between the International and UK/EU fee rate. A minimum IELTS (Academic) score of 7 (or equivalent) is essential for candidates for whom English is not their first language.

Please send a one-page covering letter outlining your interest and proposed approach with an accompanying CV (with a maximum length of two A4 pages) to swillmott@lincoln.ac.uk by the close of day on Thursday 16th October 2014.

Interviews: Monday 27th October 2014

England Regional Talent Coach (Sprint) – Southern Region

Location: based at an agreed Canoe Club in the Southern Region or British Canoeing’s offices at Bisham Abbey
Salary £23k full time equivalent (commensurate with qualifications & experience)
Hours 7 ½ hours per week (0.2FTE)

The role will operate within the British Canoeing Athlete Pathway Framework, supporting the development of a sustainable regional infrastructure for talented paddlers throughout England.  They will play an important role in delivering a stronger talent pool with an increase in numbers and depth of paddler and enables every athlete to fulfil their potential and establish a sporting habit for life.

The primary remit of the Regional Talent coach will be to lead the Southern Regional Talent Academy including the delivery of a programme of technical coaching and educational training days to selected athletes, and to support the Club Competition Coaches based in the region.   

They will provide a key link between British Canoeing and the clubs in the Region, therefore successful candidates will need to demonstrate an understanding of the skills required by a Coach operating at level 3 and above, as well as experience of operating in a club environment with young people and volunteers.

This role is funded by the Sport England Talent funding stream and managed by British Canoeing.

To apply, please send a covering letter and CV to: Nadine Ashmore, HR Assistant, British Canoeing, National Water Sports Centre, Adbolton Lane, Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham, NG12 2LU or alternatively e-mail hradmin@bcu.org.uk

For an informal confidential discussion about the role please contact Brendon Stead Regional Pathway Coach (South) brendon.stead@gbcanoeing.org.uk
Closing date for applications is Tuesday 14th October 2014.   
Interviews will take place week commencing 20th October.

British Canoeing is an equal opportunity employer

Job description and Person Specification

Membership and Customer Service Manager

Based at the National Watersports Centre, Holme Pierrepont
Salary £25-30K dependent upon experience

British Canoeing (formally the BCU) is the National Governing Body for Canoeing encompassing Canoe England and the GB Canoeing Team.  This is an exciting time to join our organisation as we look to capitalise on our success and further develop a strong commercial strategy.

We are looking for someone who can lead and develop membership growth and development through proactive customer relationship management and leadership and direction of the customer service team.

You will use your knowledge of professional membership to input into a strategic review of processes and procedures and will analyse membership data to help inform membership growth and retention strategies. This position will oversee the membership section of the membership database so strong IT skills and experience of producing and analysing data is essential.

You will need to have excellent written and verbal communication skills, and will have the ability to build rapport; together with an ability to challenge and question processes.  You will also be creative with the ability to develop ideas and translate them into plans, procedures and actions.

This is a key role for our organisation and, as such, we require an individual who has a good understanding of the commercial landscape for British Sport.

To apply, please send a covering letter and CV to:

HR Department, British Canoeing, National Water sports Centre, Adbolton Lane, Holme Pierrepont, Nottingham, NG12 2LU. Email hradmin@bcu.org.uk.

Closing date for applications is Friday 7th October 2014
British Canoeing is an equal opportunity employer

Job description and Person Specification

Apply Here

Slalom Performance Coach

Full time, fixed term contract until 31st March 2017

 Salary:£22k - £26k per annum - dependent on qualifications and experience.

The Scottish Canoe Association (SCA), the Governing Body for canoeing and kayaking in Scotland, seeks an extremely capable individual to join its existing coaching team delivering the SCA Performance Programmes in Slalom Olympic Disciplines through sportscotland investment.

The successful candidate will be enthusiastic and effective coaches with a proven track record of improving the performance of young athletes. he, she will relish being part of a successful, geographically distributed team of coaches working to achieve the objectives set out in the SCA 4 year Strategic Plan. 

Job description and Person Specification

SCA Regional Development Manager - Salary £24-£26k – Based in SCA Office, Edinburgh

The Scottish Canoe Association (SCA) is the National Governing Body for ca
noeing in Scotland. Through investment by sport scotland, the SCA seeks an enthusiastic and motivated individual to take on the role of Regional Development Manager to help deliver its Mission: To help and inspire people to go canoeing and to enable people to progress throughout the sport.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to grow the sport and they will share our passion and vision for the development of canoeing and its performance pathways.

This role will require leadership, planning, delivery and communication skills along with the ability to network successfully within the sport and with all current and potential partners and relevant agencies.

Job description and Person Specification

Residential Care Workers
Crisis Intervention Centre, Shropshire
Closing Date: 2nd October 2014

We are looking for motivated people who wish to work with Children and Young People with emotional and behavioral difficulties.

You will be expected to engage with the young people and Contribute to outdoor activity sessions .  It would be desirable to have NVQ3, or working towards QCF children and young people however not essential we provide all training for this role.

We complete a range of activities with the children such as canoeing, mountain climbing and camping so you need to want to partake in all of these activities

If you are interested please contact Colleen Butler for an Application Pack and further info and quote REF525.

                           Keys Childcare is an Equal Opportunity Employer and positively welcomes
                     applications from ethnic minority groups who are under-represented in our service.

UKBA Points based System

As part of this reform the UK Border Agency (http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/) has introduced a points system so that those coaches we need from abroad can work in Britain.  The UKBA has recognised the BCU as the governing body for setting the endorsement requirements and issuing endorsements for coaches in canoeing

There are now two categories in which sports people and coaches can enter the UK and work in a professional capacity in canoeing. The two categories are known as Skilled Tier 2 (sportspeople) and Temporary Tier 5 (sporting)

The sportspersons category of Skilled Tier 2 (sportspeople) of the Points Based System is for elite sports people and coaches who are internationally established at the highest level, whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development of their sport at the highest level in the UK and who intend to base themselves in the Uk

The sportspersons category of Temporary Tier 5 (sporting) of the Points Based System is for internationally established sports people at the highest level in their sport and/or whose employment will make a significant contribution to the development and operation of that particular sport in the UK.  It is also for coaches who must be suitably qualified to fulfil the role in question.  This category is for temporary workers who come to the United Kingdom for up to 12 months
The UK Border Agency website explains how your organisation should apply for a licence to be on the register of sponsors for the points-based system. 
You can go to the following website link to learn more and understand the process
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/ > Home > For employers and sponsors > Points-based system > Sponsoring migrants > Applying for a licence

For more details click here